Bavarian Frankfurters with Baked Egg Buns
So much more than just eggs and sausages. An eggs-cellent breakfast or brunch.
- 1-2 unearthed® Bavarian Frankfurters
- 2 fresh burger buns or white crusty bread rolls
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 slices cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly chopped
- Handful of chives, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp oil for greasing the tray
- Salt & black pepper
- Preheat oven to 160°C/Gas Mark 3
- Slice the tops off the buns and take out the insides
- Dice the frankfurters into bite-sized chunks
- Heat the butter in a frying pan over a low heat, then add the onions and frankfurters and cook gently for 3-4 minutes
- Lightly oil a baking tray, then place the buns onto it
- Arrange ingredients in the buns in the following order – cheese, onions and frankfurters and a tiny bit of chive.
- Crack an egg in and then sprinkle with salt and black pepper
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 15 minutes
- Finish off under the grill, until the whites and yolks are set (but don’t let them burn)
- Sprinkle on remaining chives and serve immediately
Recipe courtesy of Bea Swiatkowska.